A tip for struggling users: copy paste

Just sharing a tip … it seems the visual builder is really fragile in regards to building out spreadsheet type formulas. This is strange to me because basic error correction seems like it would be extremely easy to implement. Regardless, if you find that steps simply don’t work when they should I’ve found copying the formula and pasting it into a TEXT editor (not a word processing program) often reveals 3x quotes when there should be 1x and so on. Edit in the edit editor and then paste back into Make. Often that will get it working.

A variable in make step will look similar to this in your text doc:
{{113.trade_amount_live_odd}}

2 Likes

The editor is meant for very simple constructions I believe. Thus the length is usually quite small. But your tip is crucial for editing complex formulas as long as you know the formatting. Once you paste it back in the parser will show you can errors quickly.

I discovered another really interesting bug or quirk today that may save others HOURS of troubleshooting:

When entering numbers into the Make editor (ex Set Variable module) as part of a formula, you MUST always include a leading Zero (0) prior to the decimal point or Make puts the value in hidden quotes which means your formula will not work as intended. [Ex: To multiply by .5 you must enter 0.5].

If you run into this hopefully your formula will completely fail so you can figure it out quickly. But in my case the formula worked but arrived at an incorrect solution, making troubleshooting really tough.

Hope that helps.

3 Likes

This should be filed as a bug to be sure. Or at least documented.

1 Like

Heya @ryan_rockwood thanks a lot for sharing this with the community :pray:

Just stepping in to let you know that whenever you believe you’ve found a bug, you can log it for further investigation via a ticket.