How do I get Markdown formatted text content into Notion?

I need to import formatted text into Notion, specifically when using the Append a page content module.

I’ve been converting the text to Markdown using GPT, and trying al sorts of ways. Although there have been a few instances where the conversion didn’t fully complete, for the most part, the Markdown is transferred to Notion. However, Notion doesn’t seem to recognize the formatting.
Is there a specific step or setting in the Notion integration that I need to apply to indicate that the text is formatted?

Screenshots of the module config and how the text is actually posted when using markdown.

You can copy and paste markdown in Notion directly, but not via Notion’s API.

You have to build each block “Content Objects” separately, specifying each block’s formatting.

So if you have a text like this:

This is some text. This is BOLD text. This is more normal text in the same paragraph.

Notion considers it three separate Text blocks even though it is in the same paragraph.

For more information, see https://developers.notion.com/reference/rich-text

So, for whatever I can see in your screenshot, you need to create four separate blocks using the rich text “Type”.

2 Likes

Thanks. Will try something. The thing is how to divide the text in parts since it comes in one whole text from GPT. But oh well. Thanks again.

Yeah I don’t work with notion just because of this. Every single thing is a separate block, including formatting.

It is a pita to insert, and then later when you want to extract/export. Try not to get locked into their ecosystem when you could be using something more suitable.

3 Likes