How do you monetize your make.com solutions?

Hi Community :wave:

I recently started creating scenarios, templates and 1 app for DocuWare in make.

I wonder how you monetize your solutions. I tried to gather all possible monetization strategies in my previous LinkedIn post: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6979093621291520000/

Basically, those are:

• ๐—บ๐—ฎ๐—ธ๐—ฒ ๐—ฎ๐—ณ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—ฟ๐—ผ๐—ด๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—บ
  • ๐—บ๐—ฎ๐—ธ๐—ฒ ๐˜€๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ป๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ผ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐˜€ ๐—ฏ๐—น๐˜‚๐—ฒ๐—ฝ๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ป๐˜ ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐—น๐—ฒ๐˜€
  • ๐—บ๐—ฎ๐—ธ๐—ฒ (๐—ฝ๐˜‚๐—ฏ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ฐ) ๐—™๐—ฅ๐—˜๐—˜ ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—บ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฒ๐˜€
  • ๐—•๐˜‚๐—ถ๐—น๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ฎ ๐—ฑ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—บ๐—ฎ๐—ธ๐—ฒ ๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐—ฝ

However, do you know other ways of monetizing make solutions? Or which strategy do you use?

I wonder how to monetize blueprints (scenarios), as whenever you give out the blueprint to someone, you give out the whole โ€œsourcecodeโ€? How can someone be still the owner of a scenario, after giving it to someone?

Thank you!

Best
Ahmet

2 Likes

Sure. We monetize our set of scenarios by charging a yearly fee plus a one time install fee. Selling the blueprints is not really viable because people will usually need to modify them to suit their needs and those that have bought them will expect you to support the modifications for free. Thatโ€™s not a viable business mode.

Our scenarios are fully configurable through a data store and are never modified by our customers. Most of them really donโ€™t know make is being used other than procuring the license for make.

In an ideal world Make would be completely behind the scenes (like AWS) running automation with a front end used for configuration. But for now the scenario editor and data store browser are the user interface, and in my opinion totally inappropriate for customers of automation solutions. Itโ€™s just too much to learn by someone who has never created software robots.

As for the Make โ€œsource codeโ€ โ€” itโ€™s like anything other intellectual property. We license our scenarios and our customers sign a contract that they wonโ€™t modify or resell the scenarios. The scenarios only run with a license, but someone could remove that quite easily and neuter our scenarios so they can run for free.

In effect Make scenarios are open source in their very nature. Thatโ€™s why the only way to monetize is through support and future services/enhancements of the scenario. If someone wants to steal your stuff they will and youโ€™ll have to go after them.

Making custom apps is a terrific strategy too. But in most cases thatโ€™s only half (or less) of solving a business problem. It enables someone to build scenarios and thatโ€™s not enough for most people who want to solve a pain.

5 Likes

So enlightening @alex.newpath many thanks! Appreciate it :pray:

1 Like

Dear Alex,

many thanks again for your insights. Did I get it right, that youโ€™re setting up the make companies for your customers so that theyโ€™re only โ€œusingโ€ the scenarios while not modifying them? So that theyโ€™re only paying for their make operations?

That would mean that you offer your solutions as SaaS so to say. Right?
Or do you mean it differently?

Thanks
Ahmet

Correct. We configure the scenarios using a data store with their input. And then they just run on their own feeding Quickbooks online and desktop.

2 Likes

Correct and our yearly license fee.

1 Like