Generating Project ID Numbers for Monday.com items

I’m trying to create Project Numbers for projects (items) on a Monday.com board. Each new project should equal the highest value in the Project Number column + 1… but I’m having some trouble. Here’s my idea:

When a new item is created…
Fetch the Project Numbers (in Project Number column) for all items on the board
Determine highest project number value and add 1
Update new item’s project number with value (highest project number +1)

What’s the best way to go about this?

Hi,

There are a few ways to go about this

1. Have a data store in your make.com scenario where you store your project number, For each project you create you will query the data store to get the project value, and at the end of the scenario, you will update the data store value by one and save it, ready for the next project.

2. You could query your monday board for the column that stores your project values and sort it by the highest value then add one to get your new project value.

3. There is a monday app AutoID on the App Marketplace that does this.

I hope this helps.

2 Likes

@Robert_Hutchison the AutoID app on the marketplace works well. the problem with it is you end up with a bunch of automations across various boards and it can be hard to control the next number in sequence. also sometimes due to lag situations things can get our of sync.

so i ended up on a make scenario exactly like @Joseph_Honig suggests using a datastore. i can now control the number and prefix’s myself.

heres how it looks…

ive also attached the blueprint. feel free.
AutoID.json (28.3 KB)

heres what my data structure looks like…

and because of this setup i can use the same webhook across multiple boards. so this scenario is basically my own AutoID app.

Hope it helps.

Shaun

3 Likes

i should also point out ive done some mangling here to add leading zeros for three two or one digit numbers

3 Likes