💾 How to Backup Scenario Blueprints on Make.com - Step-by-Step Guide

Hello Make.com community! We all know how vital our scenario blueprints are for streamlining tasks and driving efficiency. But are you safeguarding your hard work with regular backups? If not, it’s time to change that!

Automating your blueprint backups not only secures your valuable data but also ensures your business is always ready to face any unexpected hitches. Take control of your data continuity and secure your peace of mind. Don’t risk losing your essential blueprints—back them up today!

1 Like

Nice, but your backup scenario takes (2N + 1) number of operations, N being the number of scenarios you are backing up.

May I suggest aggregating the scenario blueprints to an archive first before uploading it to save on operations, so that you don’t upload each scenario individually to Google Drive.

Here’s my own backup scenario for reference, anyone can import and use:

blueprint.json (22.6 KB)

My scenario takes (N + 5) number of operations, N being the number of scenarios you are backing up. As you can see, you should reduce the number of Ns in your scenario formula to be able to scale well. I also filter by active scenarios, because I also have many test scenarios that are not set to active.

Screenshot_2023-10-19_101022

The first two modules are optional, I’m only using these extra two operations so that I can aggregate into folders in my zip archive. Since I have many folders and scenarios in my Team, what I do is mirror the folder structure in the zip archive file so that it’s easier to find.

The filter you can see in my screenshot is filtering out scenarios by device scope - because there is a Make bug that lists the same scenario twice when there are multiple devices in a scenario (I have already reported this to the support team in Aug 2023).

2 Likes

This may be a dumb question, but does this strip/remove the credentials from any connected nodes? Say if I wanted to share with a colleague?

@Vulture Exported blueprints do not contain connection details other than the connection name. Your credentials/tokens/keys/OAuth_secrets are not exported.

2 Likes

This is true, but it also make the retrieval of scenario backups more tedious, especially since I am not backing up every blueprint every day, only the most recently edited scenarios.
This would be a good approach if everything was backed up ever day, as the zip file would contain every scenario.

Great post I expanded on your thought process by downloading all blueprint types.

I did run into an error if I did not add a 1 minute pause before the next router the system through a random error which was resolved with the pause. Also anyone using the blueprint donf forget to click on the google drive folders that match your drive structure or the download will fail!

Once again thanks for the video and advice!

Glad you found it helpful!